Murphy Creek P-8
The Highest Achievement for All!
Our goal is to support students, parents, and teachers to ensure that your child gets the best possible education. A good education includes not only academics, but also personal, social, and career development. Learning to get along with others, to accept responsibility, to make good decisions, to control anger, and to be aware of strengths and weaknesses are skills our students need to develop. Though many of these skills are taught at home, it is our goal to reinforce what you are teaching at home through classroom character ed lessons and small group activities.
We are also available to work individually with your child about a specific issue. Please feel free to contact me if I can provide additional support and encouragement as specific issues may arise.
At Murphy Creek our students are bursting with potential. We look forward to working with you and your child this year. When school personnel and parents work together, we have a winning combination for our children. All children deserve to be winners, and together we can help them reach for the stars!
The School Counseling Team
Who is your School Counselor?
Your school counselor is a professional who is licensed by the state of Colorado. She holds a master’s degree in education in school counseling. Her program is designed according to the American School Counseling Association’s National Model, endorsed by the Education Trust, to promote and enhance the learning process for all students.
School Counseling at Murphy Creek P-8
Counseling Services Provided:
- Individual Counseling
- Small Group Counseling
- Classroom Guidance Lessons
- Crisis Intervention
- Consultation with parents and teachers
- Coordination with outside agencies & therapists
- Referrals for community services
Issues commonly addressed:
- Anger Management
- Friendship Skills
- Personal Space
- Conflict Resolution
- Managing Feelings
- Social Skills
- High school planning: 8th grade
- New students
- Grade level transitions
Possible Outcomes from School Counseling
Through counseling, your child may be taught strategies to help him or her:
- make more effective and healthier decisions
- increase the ability to set & reach goals
- build better relationships with others
- more success in school
Why do kids need school counseling?
- Children learn best when they feel good about themselves and their relationships with others.
- Children who understand their feelings are better able to control their behavior.
- Children are capable of making responsible choices.
To make an appointment with Ms. Pierce(K-5) or Ms. Gagnon(6-8):
- Students can request to his/her teacher to make an appointment. An appropriate time will be made to meet with the school counselor.
- Students can write a note or fill out a “request to see the counselor” form outside of Ms. Pierce’s or Ms. Gagnon's offices.
- Parents/Guardians are encouraged to call the school or send a note with your child requesting an appointment.
- Murphy Creek Staff can make a request at any time when necessary.